Sunday, November 28, 2010

'Twas the Stretch Before Christmas...

Yeah. Already. I was working on tweaking some lesson plans tonight and sort of had a panic attack. These three weeks upcoming have the potential to be many things. Magical? Sure. I really do get excited with and for the kids. I love decorating the classroom and my house-I love the lights, music, everything. Stressful? Afraid so. SO many commitments and things that I really want to accomplish but so little time it seems. Depressing? Mmmhmm. In case you hadn't noticed, we live in a troubled world. This is Russell's first year to be a full-time employee on the unit. He has been duly warned that we are in the middle of prime suicide time. This is also a difficult time for many of the children and families that I work with. Stinks, but it is true.

So what do we do? How do we cope? This is just a short list of things that I thought of while trying to calm my own panic--maybe it will help you too.

1. Slow down. I know, I know...physician heal thyself. But this weekend I did slow down a bit, had a little "me time" and it helped. I promise myself that I will spend some quiet time by the Christmas tree this year. Soft music, twinkling lights...and this time I won't be noticing the gaps without ornaments or how crooked the top of my tree is.

2. Forget about perfection. I mean really, REALLY forget about it. It's unobtainable and highly overrated. I was looking at props for our kindergarten play the other day and thinking that I should re-do all of them because they're a little worn. How ridiculous is that? And anyway, most of my students big brothers and sisters and cousins wore the same costumes and used the same props--they have sentimental value.

3. Do what is most important. Guess what? Not everything is that important when you really get down to it. For years I felt compelled to have an open house during the holidays. In reality, I didn't enjoy the extreme stress involved in getting my home ready to be "open"--and our friends probably saw it as one more obligation during a busy season. My Girls Only ornament exchange is something that is really important to me and my friends--so it stays! Easy as that. Oh, and bonus: These are women who know and love me and they expect my house to look like a busy woman resides in it.

I'll stop there because long lists stress me. Hope the holiday season is joyful for you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment