Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 17--I'm Thankful for the Hearts of Children

Yes, I took a two day hiatus. My heart was thankful, but my body was tired and the writing spark just wasn't there. But here's some food for thought.

This week in kindergarten our social studies unit is about wants and needs. We are also talking about Native Americans and Pilgrims, so I introduced the lesson today by reviewing/discussing what the Pilgrims needed when they made the voyage and established their new home. Yesterday my students found pictures in magazines of things that they want, and things that they need. I watched them but didn't comment on what they were cutting out. Today we sat on the floor with a poster board labelled "Wants" and "Needs" and I gave each student their pictures to glue in the appropriate column. I knew one little boy had cut out a picture of a stained glass window with the image of a cross. I was curious, but didn't ask. When his turn came to glue his picture on our project today, this is the conversation that evolved:


"What is it?"

"A church."

"Is it a want or a need?"

Incredulous look, followed by this. "A need."

"Why is it a need?"

"Because we need God. We need Him to protect us. We need church to teach us what's right and wrong. It's a need."

And that was that. These precious 5 year-old hearts amaze me. I'm not going to argue with that reasoning. I'm just not. And that's why, if you happen to walk down the hall and see kindergarten's work hanging on the wall--you will see a stained glass window and a cross amidst the carrots, milk, clothing, and houses that they cut out. Because they know what they need...and that is something for all of us to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment