Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Sound of Silence--Day 4

Today I am thankful for solitude. I realize everyone else seems to be listing their loved ones during our Thankfulness journey...and I'll get there one day. But today, I got to spend a little while alone in my house and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Except for the fact that I spent the time doing dishes and laundry, picking up after people, and trying to conquer my raging hormones, it was lovely. I crave silence--and silence is almost nonexistent in my life. As I type this my husband is having a complete conversation, out loud, with himself. He often gets up in the morning and tunes the television in our room to Fox News--then he goes into the kitchen and finds KLove on the computer there and turns up the volume so that he can hear it over Fox news. Then the drama queen starts her daily reign. On a normal day she will clash with her brother at least 12 and a half times before we leave for school. The 15 minute drive to school is sometimes tense, often quite pleasant, but ALWAYS noisy. I won't even try to describe my school day--but here are a couple of things I will tell you: 1. I have taken to eating my 30 minute (supposedly anyway) duty-free lunch in my room alone. Right now that 30ish minutes of quiet each day is the only thing standing between me and some kind of pharmaceutical intervention. 2. I have 13 students and 10 of them were named ineligible for the conduct award this week based on their behavior in PHYSICAL EDUCATION. Something is so wrong with this picture. In summary, I need quiet and today I seized the opportunity. A little peace and quiet is truly something to be thankful for.

2 comments:

  1. YOU, my friend... are AMAZING!!!! I am completely in awe of your ability to see through the "stuff" and relax in God's arms!!! It has truly been a blessing to me to read your blog! Thanks!!!! .... oh.... and they were just "darlings" in music today!!! Pray without ceasing.... that is what i do from 1:00- 1:30 Monday - Friday!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I seriously write to save my sanity. Writing and music give me great peace. I cracked up when I realized WHEN you are praying every day--don't think I don't pray ALL DAY EVERY DAY! The little darlings at least keep me close to God.

    ReplyDelete