Friday, November 6, 2009

6th Day of Thanks...and Happy Birthday to my Princess!

I'll get to today's thankfulness in a minute, but first I have to talk about this 9 YEAR OLD at my house. Nine years ago this morning Russ, Conner, and I made the trek to Temple to King's Daughters Hospital for a scheduled C-section to welcome our new baby girl. We knew that she had been measuring on the large side, but I was doing well and she was doing well, so we didn't think too much of it. We had been told not to be surprised if she weighed 10 lbs. We were surprised, however, when after pulling, tugging, sweating, and calling for backup, our doctor gasped and said, "Good Lord, I just delivered a toddler!" Our sweet, perfectly healthy baby girl weighed in at a whopping 11 lbs. She was all cheeks and the most precious baby girl. Her brother was proud, her Daddy was proud, and her Mommy was tired. We quickly became hospital celebrities with people even dropping by my room to see her. I lost 22 lbs in 2 days. Aside from the more humorous aspects of her birth, our sweet Caleigh Faith was an answer to many prayers. We had suffered 3 miscarriages in a short time and were exploring other options when I had a dream; a very vivid dream in which I was holding a blonde, blue-eyed baby girl...and I was deliriously happy. I never worried another moment after that dream. I just knew. Except for the blonde, blue -eyed part...but guess what? God even gave me the details! She is such a joy. She has brought laughter, love, and sweetness to our lives. She is intelligent beyond imagination, but as silly as any 3rd grade girl. R. and I were laughing this morning about how we went to the hospital that morning thinking we had the whole parenting thing down. Conner was 5, we knew what we were doing. WE KNEW NOTHING! This second child would challenge us in ways we never dreamed. She came out of the womb with her own agenda, and she is still plowing straight ahead. A couple of years ago I asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up. A doctor? A teacher? A lawyer? "Well Mom, I think I want to be a nail technician and an animal rights activist. And a vegetarian." Since she had chicken fried steak for her birthday dinner tonight, maybe she has changed her mind. Happy Birthday My Love! You make me smile!

P.S. I am thankful for the ability to see the humor in almost any situation. It is a coping skill I suppose, and a gift from God!

No comments:

Post a Comment