Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dreaming...

I heard the most amazing conversation in my kindergarten classroom this week. Can I just tell you that there are times that I love teaching? My favorite moments in kinder occur when they are really engrossed in a project. They get still (sort of!) and a little quieter...because you know you have to stick your tongue out at jusssttt the right angle to cut on the lines...and these conversations begin.

Student #1: "I can't quit thinking about God today. I just keep dreaming about God."

Student #2: "Huh? God? Why?"

#1: "I don't know, but I just keep thinking and thinking...about God."

Student #3: "I LOVE God!"

#2: "Why?"

#3: "Well, one time I asked him to get rid of a monster that was in my room... and HE DID!"

Giggling at the table.

#1: "Yeah, He's done that for me too. He does things like that if you ask."

#2: "Hmmmm."

I was spellbound. Captivated. Couldn't breathe as I sat nearby, pretending to be really busy. Wow! When is the last time I shared my faith like that? I don't know about you and your workplace, but mine has been stressful lately. Oh how I needed the reminder that, no matter what the adults may be acting like, there are precious souls sitting at my feet. I don't get to initiate discussions like the one I heard, I don't even get to really participate. But everything I do, every word I speak, every action and the tone of voice affect them. I am blessed with some very Godly men and women to work with. We pray for and support one another. We laugh together, and oh, do we ever cry together. We will rise above the things that are overshadowing our joy right now. Our kids need us. My prayer this weekend is for peace, for wisdom in leadership, and for energy to see this year through to completion. I pray that hearts which have been hardened and have grown cold will be broken to pieces. And that includes my own. I fully believe that those given the task of working with our children will be held accountable...not just teachers, but principals, superintendents, school board members. The kids are dreaming about God...and trying to overcome so many worldly problems on the journey of education. What are we dreaming of? Who are we working for?

No comments:

Post a Comment