Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Okay Mom...Here I Am!

So sorry to have upset the blogging world with my short absence. Everything is okay, just needed a few days to adjust to the working world again. If you follow me on fb you know that my life is now consumed with practicing for the 2009 version of "Santa's Workshop" to be put on in a (gulp!!) mere two weeks by kindergarten. We've had questions, we've had excitement, we've had tears...and we haven't even made it to the stage yet. Today we had two feuding angels, a near fistfight between a toy soldier and an elf, and one soldier who spent the entire rehearsal in time out. It will truly be a Christmas miracle if we make it to opening night...and only night for that matter. To make my day more interesting, I had a runaway this morning...kindergarten style that is. He informed me early on that if I made him do handwriting he was not coming to school anymore...and he was serious. I did persuade him that handwriting is a valuable skill, helpful in moving him out of my classroom in a few months and on to first grade...he bought that. Then I moved his clothespin...correction, he made a poor choice and as a RESULT HE moved his clothespin...to yellow. That was it. He marched to his cubby, put his belongings in his backpack, put on his jacket (it's cold in S. Texas today after all), put on his hat, swung his backpack over his shoulder...and marched out the door...and to the office...to sign himself out??? I sat in my rocker with a dumbfounded look on my face and uttered the only words appropriate in such a situation..."You can't just leave school!" As he walked out the door, some still unknown smart child said, "Looks to me like he can." Thanks to a wonderful secretary and some divine intervention he was quickly returned and was soon happy again. Until later in the day when a well meaning classmate said, "Hey, that was kinda weird when you almost left school this morning...you just walked right out the door, you and your BAD attitude." Oh Calgon, take me away...far, far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment